Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Education


Two years ago this month, I began drawing a weekly comic strip for my outstanding local newspaper, the Kansas City Star. I called the strip "Delayed Karma" - this was an obscure fusion of a John Lennon song and my mother's maiden name, and by no means an attempt to sound "all metaphysical." I'm not going to attempt to repost all of the early strips I drew. Most are painful for me to look at. The text is incoherent, the characters' heads are poorly proportioned, and I can't read them without finding dozens of things I would do differently if forced to redraw them. But I still enjoy a handful of these comics, so I'm going to start posting one a week in addition to my new work. In doing so, I may save a few brave souls the trouble of wading through the Incidental Comics archives in search of sketchy sustenance, or I may just boost my creative ego. Either way, enjoy the new old drawings, at least until the decent ones run out.

10 comments:

  1. hahahha definitely how i feel about using a college diploma!

    http://anatomyofsarcasm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the crappy economy, we still all decide to pursue a diploma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Passionately.

    And am looking forward to your old comics as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the discomfort of approaching old artistic efforts. Recently I pulled out a novel I wrote nearly 10 years ago, and while there is some decent premise--buried very, very deep--the crap it's under it just simply horrifyingly bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! If only I could figure out where I stashed my diploma, I might be able to try my hand at one of these fine suggestions. Not much I can do around here with a BA in Art History. Art history, fart history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha sad but true. can't wait to see your old stuff!

    thedeepend-comic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The points that you make in your comics are among the pointiest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joseph: Exactly.
    Book Florist: Thank you for the pointed compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The text is incoherent, the characters' heads are poorly proportioned, and I can't read them without finding dozens of things I would do differently if forced to redraw them.

    ReplyDelete